I'm just a regular guy with a fondness for food, books, travel, music, art, science, peaceful places and casual mischief.
The following are some interesting and true facts about me:
- I own far too many technological doodads, and will almost definitely be first against the wall come the inevitable robot revolution.
- If there were internet IV drips, I would have one and it would be full of sloths.
- I've spent quite a bit of time poking around China - learning the language, visiting friendly mountaintop buddhas, fleeing belligerent macaques and exploring ancient parks.
- I'm exceedingly fond of art and illustration. Some artsy folk I like include Erwin Wurm, Kurt Hentschlager, Anish Kapoor, Anthony McCall, Qiu Shihua, Shaun Tan, Hayao Miyazaki, Kozyndan, and Michel Gagné.
- I am at my most perfectly content when watching Antiques Roadshow on a rainy afternoon.
- I'm pretty into music. I play an alright piano, I've sung in a few choirs and have a trombone lying around here somewhere - not often played.. just a relic of my misspent, jazz and vegemite fuelled youth.
- Exploring is just about my favourite activity. I'm not your outdoorsy, active type, but I'll happily spend days on end wandering around, getting lost in alleyways, discovering secret parks, ancient ruins, magic caves, you name it.
Anyway, that's me, more or less. But why am I here? Well, life's always more fun with company!
Proofreading romance novels.
Repairing linear particle accelerators.
Provoking the wrath of those new-fangled automated public toilets (they hate me - one actually called the police on me while I was inside).
I grew up playing classical piano, jazz trombone and singing awful songs in eistedfods, so my tastes are kind of.. well.. umm... Here's some stuff I'm currently listening to: Herbie Hancock, Dream Theater, Arvo Pärt, Ella Fitzgerald, Anamanaguchi, Arlo Guthrie, The Be Good Tanyas, Ben Folds Five, Bill Evans, Capsule, Chick Corea, Daft Punk, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Dogs Die In Hot Cars, Hiromi Uehara, Incredible Bongo Band, Irakere, Jonsi, Bulgarian Women's Choirs, Chucho Valdez, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Tom Waits
Movies and TV
My username here is a reference to my favourite Miyazaki movie. It's awesome, you should totally see it. TV shows I like: Antiques Roadshow, Community, The Daily Show, Dead Like Me, Firefly, Fringe, Game of Thrones, In Treatment, Look Around You, The Mighty Boosh, Treme and Yakitate!! Japan
I've been reading constantly since the age of about 4, so picking out examples is hard.. One favourite author at the moment is Charles Stross, because self-replicating factory complexes piloted by digitised lobster brain AIs are cool. Also love Brandon Sanderson, Daniel O'Malley, Roald Dahl, Neil Gaiman, Tim Powers, Naoki Urasawa, Brian K. Vaughan, Scott Westerfeld, Elizabeth Moon, J.K. Rowling, Neal Stephenson and many many others.
Most of my major life decisions so far seem to have been based around facilitating access to good food.. Favourite cuisines include Sichuanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, Lebanese, Mexican and Korean.
2. Sichuanese Peppercorns.
3. Quiet places to explore and get lost in (real and imaginary).
5. Books and stories.
6. Family and Friends
You cultivate an appreciation of massive trees where the trunk has rotted away a bit and you can wander around inside.
You have an overactive imagination.
You have a deep and abiding love for The Internets and the many
and varied treasures therein.
These are all highly prized attributes, but if you just think I seem nice, I'd love to hear from you!