* how we might use carbon nanotubes to build a space elevator
* how the DEA caught Pablo Escobar
* just what the hell a homeomorphism is and how it can be used to turn a donut into a coffee cup
and building things:
* super complicated lego structures,
* my Akari lamp,
* web apps that generate fractals, play with computer vision, etc.
I like to flex my creative muscles in the kitchen with cooking. I would say that most of the food that I make is delicious. ;-)
I am a bit of a music junkie. Fortunately, my job, headphones, and Spotify pair well together. Also, I am pretty much always up for going to a concert, even if I have never heard the band before.
And finally, my friends awarded me a trophy that honors me with the title of "The Bad Pun Bandit". So, as you might guess, I am fond of a good (or bad) joke.
* The people I work with are smart, hardworking, kind, and awesome!
* The programming and math I do on a daily basis is fun and challenging.
* I occasionally get to go on company paid trips around the states.
Other than that I am
* staying in shape via running, aerobics, hiking, snowboarding or whatever other activity is available at the time
* going to random festivals around Denver (brewery, music, ethnic food, culture, art)
* listening to every sci-fi book on audible (I just started Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey)
* watching shows on Netflix (Gotham right now)
* playing boardgames with friends (Splendor is a favorite)
* Noticing when people say unintentional puns
* Being introspective when I make a mistake
* Rallying people to celebrate birthdays, holidays, and weekend-days
* Setting aside time for learning new things, active activities, etc.
* Thinking about situations logically
* Cooking dishes that combine foods that aren't usually isn't paired together
Also, they notice my awesome Minecraft hoodie. I don't play a ton; I would actually call myself a game tourist. I love checking out new game mechanics and artwork (especially for indie games), but it's rare that any one game holds my attention for more than a couple hours.
I would have to say that my all time favorite book is:
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
For movies I enjoy
* Indie humor:
The Grand Budapest Hotel, Safety Not Guaranteed, I Heart Huckabees
* distinctive sci-fi:
Primer, District 9, Dark City
* the classic heart wrenching:
American History X, The Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty
The comedic TV shows I enjoy tend to be cartoons:
* Bob's Burgers, Adventure Time, Archer
The serious TV shows I enjoy tend to be HBO-like: more than TV shows less than movies:
* Sherlock, True Detective, Daredevil
I am a musical omnivore, but I tend to listen to electronica:
(Porter Robinson - Language)
and Post-Rock the most:
(Cloudkicker - Let Yourself Be Huge)
I love pretty much all food, especially ethnic foods. Sushi, Cuban, and Mediterranean are some of my favorites. I like to explore new restaurants a lot! If I find some new combination I like, I might try to recreate it or improve it myself at home.
* The ability to lose myself so deeply in a book or movie that I forget that I am a person reading a book or watching a movie
* The feeling of pleasant exhaustion after being active
* Having friends that I can confide in
* Intellectual problems so challenging the heirarchical graph of their understanding is seemingly infinite in depth, just like the interpretation of this list item
* meta humor...
Sometimes I want to explore whatever novel event is going on in this fine city and the surrounding areas.
On those nights if it involves eating weird Ethiopian food, hunting zombies on a hayrack ride, or going to an avant-garde art exhibit I am probably up for it.
Other times I just want to curl up on the couch, and binge watch Adventure Time while I drink hot chocolate and eat homemade popcorn.
For songs like "Dreaming" by Smallpools, I envision myself in a melodrama where I win a lady's heart by besting a competitor in a dance battle. Of course, in my version of the video, there are a lot of trippy 70's special effects (i.e. the top youtube video for "Twin of Myself" by Black Moth Super Rainbow.)
... you enjoy walking around bookstores
... you like going to concerts
... you would like to try my experimental cooking