I am your classic mid-30s cat lady (I have 2: Jack and Ginger) (I like dogs too in case you are wondering). Not only do I like cats (Jack is purring away in my lap as I write this), but I am kinda like one. What may appear as standoffish is really me taking everything in and contemplating my next nap.
I am reasonably smart, fairly opinionated, quite idealistic, and will tell people what I feel and think. I am not demure, am subtle like a sledgehammer, and do not suffer fools.
I try to make the people in my life (and even strangers) feel comfortable, connected, heard, valued, and safe. You will know it when we are on a date and a kid is screaming at the table behind you and I making silly faces at him when I think you are not looking. Or I am kneeling on the ground to earn the trust of a fearful dog. Or I am making a CVS run to grab some water for a homeless person on a hot day.
Cards on the table: I am looking for love, my big spoon, the guy I am proud to admire and call "my man," my equal and my inspiration, and to start a family within the next 5+ years. "My man" isn't intimidated by intelligence, strength, passion, and (let's face it) a little weirdness. "My man" inspires me to take on every adventure life brings my way with gusto and the confidence that he has my back.
In my 5-9 — It is anybody's guess.
books: Shakespeare (my collected works is full of post-it flags and penciled in notes in the margin), forensic thrillers, non-fiction on a variety of topics (especially nutrition, food science, and forensic anthropology).
tv: Dr. Who (favorite Doctor? Vale Decem. 11 is great too. Not sold on 12) , Blacklist, Hannibal, Castle, American Horror Story.
movies: more romcom/drama/comedy than action/horror.
music: I skew towards singers/bands that have amazing lyrics and solid melodies/harmonies. See, e.g., Elbow.
foods: Bacon. Garlic. Avocado. Everything else is secondary.
2. Modern medical technology (check out the photo of my artificial disc!).
3. Music (Nietzsche said "without music life is a mistake" and I happen to agree)
4. A fully-loaded kitchen (both hardware (sharp knives) and software (fresh produce and proteins))
5. Buddhism (helped me be a happier person -- Thich Nhat Hanh, Tara Brach, Jack Kornfield)
...why all you manly mens don't like cute little kittens...
Deal makers (and yes, these matter to me. Sorry to all of you smoking midgets):
1. Taller than me (I grew up with a dad that's 6'1")
2. Non-Smokers (My desire to kiss a smoker is absolute zero)
3. You have a reasonably full command of the English language (though if it's not your first language, that's cool too)
4. You have good manners and are a gentleman.
5. You know who you are, what you want out of life, and are in pursuit of that life.
Bonus Round: You have a husky, akita, malamute or pit-dalmatian.
To answer many your one-line emails that really waste my time/your time (I'm just deleting your email after your (minimal) effort):
"Hi, how r u?" (and variations thereof) -- I'm fine. Thanks.
"Hey, what's up?" -- The sky.
"Hey." -- Hey yourself.
"UR Beautiful" -- Thanks. My dad tells me that too, but he also tells me how talented, smart, compassionate, wise, and creative I am as well. Cause dad knows that being beautiful means zip if the rest of you is ugly.
If you have a moment, please check out my "OkCupid Exit Interview." I'm very curious how people react to my profile.