My tumblr of nerdiness, geekery, food, science, English, HEMA, religion, and politics...
I teach AP and dual credit rhetoric and argument to high school juniors. Rewarding with gobs of grading.
Proud and happy geek/nerd. Intellect and passion.
I've done a bit of traveling in my life -- mostly through Europe and North America -- though not nearly as much as a bunch of people on this site, apparently. Love to do more, once a year or so. Also would like to move out of Texas sometime.
A great night? Cooking and spices and good beer with a few friends and a boardgame.
Humanist, skeptic, atheist, liberal... consent and empathy, education and peace. Progress and universal betterment.
Introvert: good explanation here.
Writing is definitely part of who I am. Poetry, shorts, attempts at novel-length material, nonfiction treatises and articles...
A Song of Ice and Fire, The Silmarillion, Hyperion Cantos, Ender's Game, Dune, Love's Executioner, Philip K. Dick, Robert A. Heinlein, Michael Crichton, Terrance Hayes, Natasha Trethewey, Shakespeare, and on and on.
Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Rome, Deadwood, Dead Like Me, Firefly, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Star Trek, Xena, Buffy, The OA, Westworld... HBO and Netflix
-metal -- Kamelot, Nightwish, Katatonia
-rock -- Eve 6, Dave Matthews, Jethro Tull, Puscifer/APC
-celtic/neo-folk -- L. McKennitt, Faun, Omnia, Dead Can Dance
-trance -- Armin van Buuren
-scores/trailer music -- Bear McCreary, Two Steps from Hell
-indie -- Imogen Heap, Rob Dougan, Azam Ali
The Fifth Element, Pulp Fiction, V for Vendetta, Jurassic Park, District 9, Indiana Jones (Last Crusade), Blade Runner, The Count of Monte Cristo, 10 Things I Hate About You, Contact, Shakespeare in Love, Dune and Children of Dune miniseries, wuxia films like Hero, or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
UK, Germany (lived for a month), Hungary (lived for a month), Switzerland, Austria, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Mexico, Canada, and multiple US states including Alaska and a 6.5 week western US road trip. There are plenty of hopeful destinations on the list as well.
Two black cats -- Azazel (my friends call Dopey) and Silverhammer (my friends call Freaky).
Baldur's Gate series, Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher, Pillars of Eternity, Civilization III/V, Total War, Far Cry 4
Other Video Games:
Not a console gamer. Never had one, don't want one.
D&D, Chess, Game of Thrones, RISK: Legacy, Settlers of Catan, Heroquest, Pandemic: Legacy. I got the BSG boardgame and 7 Wonders; we'll see how those play. I also have Betrayal at House on the Hill, which was pretty good.
Kuk Sool Won (9 years); Americanized Kung Fu, Wushu, Capoeria, Judo (dabbled in each, total time about 3 years); fencing (1 semester); archery (4 years)
I've been doing HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) off and on for about two years now. We look at fencing treatises and learn to fight with longsword and rapier and so on... I've joined Brandr Combat Academy around here, and it's been excellent so far! I competed at Purpleheart Open Steel in March '16, and I progressed further in than I expected, so I'm fighting well!
A 6” Newtonian reflector in rough shape.
Drinks of choice:
(chocolate) milk, flavorful and unique beers, water.
Food of choice:
Sandwiches, Thai curry, chips and queso/salsa, salmon, garlic, olive oil... cheese again?
- Generally not into certain traditional geeky things... like anime or Dr. Who.
- Random people to look up: Tim Minchin (comedy, music, atheism), Neil deGrasse Tyson (science activism), Felicia Day (geek activism), Max ZT (hammered dulcimer)
1. Time -- time to relax and love life, to be lazy and play games, to write and travel. Part of my introversion -- I don't like being "on" all the time.
2. Music -- though I can't really play, I find a large amount of peace in it, whether it's metal or classical. It's all about the emotions, and perhaps it's that I don't play and am not musically inclined that I'm so emotionally drawn to its mystery.
3. Stories -- books, tv shows, movies, my own writing, listening to people. The how and why of humans.
4. Space -- science, especially astronomy/cosmology, has always been a large part of who I am. The Greater Mysteries.
5. Friends -- I have never had many, and I thrive in small circles rather than extended groups, but a few intimate friends are necessary for me.
6. Knowledge, and access to it -- I'm a huge information-fiend, and I love learning. Honestly, I think learning is an ethical imperative.
...our "scores" seem compatible (Match > 80%, Enemy < 20%, # of questions in common > 150)
...you are a skeptical and curious person, a liberal, an open communicator, a geeky/nerdy person, a somewhat active and somewhat homebody kind of person
Please be advised to NOT message me if:
...you're socially conservative and/or have religious leanings.
...you're looking for casual sex or something super short term. Not my style in general, nor what I'm looking for now.