My greatest joy in life is in bringing happiness to others by doing something with my hands and my wits. I'm particularly fond of cooking for crowds, getting groups ready for the next Tough Mudder, and making useful things out of wood, leather, and metal. I'd add "dropping bombshell puns" to this list, but those sometimes blow up in my face.
I believe in the art of storytelling, clean prose, dirty thoughts, and that Slytherin is the best house.
I'm fascinated with creating things, and dabble obsessively. Leatherworking and jewelry-making are my go-to hobbies, and it's a rare weekend when I don't get spattered by leather dye or metal shavings. I've also been trying to up my woodworking skills with wood-burning and figuring out how to make a snug dovetail join. I love to fail often, fail hard, and try again!
Planning vacations. I like to balance scheduled activities with spontaneity, and always have backup plans, depending on how the group is feeling. Failing to plan ahead is a pet peeve of mine, and nothing gets more more excited about a trip than putting an itinerary together, even if we end up throwing it to the wind.
Whistling. In tune, mostly.
- Starship troopers, Stranger in a strange land, The Ethical Slut, Romance of the three kingdoms, Snow Crash, Watchmen, Sandman, Kitchen Confidential, Sex at Dawn
- Gangs of New York, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Shall we dance (the Japanese version), Braveheart, Red Cliff, The Artist, Gran Torino, Letters from Iwo Jima, Princess Bride, and nearly anything by Pixar
- Doctor Who, Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and anything by Joss Whedon.
BOARD GAMES (since music doesn't jive with me):
For small gatherings, Pandemic or Carcassonne (Settlers of Cataan is no longer welcome at my house). For parties, Curse of the Temple, Cash n Guns, Once Upon a Time, "Aye, Dark Overlord!", Betrayal at House on the Hill, and pretty much any other co-op game with crazy backstories and a propensity for funny accents. Aspirationally, I've wanted to get into Twilight Struggle, though I fear it's more trouble than it's worth.
- Tonkatsu. Or katsudon. Or katsu-kare. Just bring on the breaded, fried pork!
- Pasta bolognese. The darkest, reddest, meatiest one we can find, that's been cooking so long that the meat fibers all but dissolve in your mouth.
- Most Vietnamese food fits the bill. Very fond of banh mi and thit nuong. Eden Center is like a second home to me.
An abundance of agape
A nearby park or forest
A sharp pocketknife
The opportunity to do good things for others
- Making carrot halwa to incorporate into a Swiss roll cake
- Taking an impromptu weekend to North Carolina
- In the gym, either moving heavy barbells or spending some quality time in the pool
I'm a huge fan of pedicures, and painted nails are an occasional pleasure. It's a shame more dudes don't do them.
You're down for a drink, swapping stories, and keeping small talk to a minimum.