Specifically, I'm entertained by guys who are funny, smart, observant, and playful (and I'd like to think that I have these qualities, as well).
Personally: Always interested in meeting new people and have new experiences – even better if I can do both at the same time. Recent examples:
Jan 2016: G Adventures' "Peru Multisport" tour! It was my first G Adventure and it was incredible.
July 2015: First time participating in the Friends for Life Bike Rally from Toronto to Montreal (over 600 km in 6 days of riding).
My main creative pursuit is an album I've written which is slowly gathering dust while I see if I can find time to put together a band and rehearse. (Former creative pursuits include improv/sketch-comedy... which is not to say that I'm not still interested, but I've put a lower priority on them because they used to DOMINATE my free time.)
Professionally: I'm a project manager for new medical imaging devices. It's interesting and stressful.
- Organizing things
- Getting out of my comfort zone
- Following through
- Rocking out
- Eating out
2. I talk a lot. It's true: I like talking, and I like hanging out with people who also enjoy conversing, especially about interesting things (i.e. not small-talk, gossip, or celebrity news).
3. That I work out! (I'm part of a bootcamp class that meets three times per week and is 10 mins warmup / 45 mins hell / 5 mins stretching, so this is what I hope people notice.)
After losing track of new music for a few years, I'm committed to keeping up with it again (made easy with reviews and music streaming services). Favourites of 2016, so far:
- PUP – The Dream is Over
- King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard – Nonagon Infinity
- Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool
- Car Seat Headrest – Teens of Denial
(And here are some of my all-time favourite bands:
Sloan, Fucked Up, Ben Folds Five, Sufjan Stevens, Weezer (Pinkerton #1, Blue Album #2, then... that's it), Andrew WK, The Decemberists, and The New Pornographers.)
Full disclosure: I currently don't read any fiction, as my reading is focused on work. I'd love to read more – I just don't take the time, right now. Would you like to recommend anything?
I have started making a bit of time for comics. I bought trades for the first time ever, this year: Saga, Sex Criminals, and Deadly Class.
Movies + Shows:
Okay, more disclosure: I don't watch any TV and rarely watch movies.
But what about Musicals?
- Book of Mormon is great.
- Avenue Q is amazing.
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch, which I saw on stage and then as an excellent movie.
- [title of show] is one of the most inspirational/funny things I've ever seen.
I've finally added another grown-up skill to my collection: cooking. Nothing fancy – but now I realize how much of cooking isn't fancy. I still miss the extra hours per week I didn't previously spend shopping, prepping, cooking, and cleaning up; however, I've found some efficiencies, I'm keeping it up, and it nicely complements my bootcamp efforts.
But when I'm NOT cooking, my favourite eating locations are gastro-pubs (with a good beer selection), Ethiopian, Japanese Izakaya, vegetarian (e.g. Fresh). Or, if I'm hammered: McDonalds / an entire large bag of ketchup potato chips.
1. Friends and family
2. Creative outlets
3. My glasses (really, I'm extremely myopic)
4. New experiences
5. My iPhone (in addition to communication and life-savers like Maps, I do a lot of creative/productive stuff on my phone)
6. NEW: Bootcamp class! (Formerly "Squat racks", I've put weightlifting on hold for now.)
- Hosting / attending board games nights at friends' / Snakes & Lattes (NB: not Scrabble, Monopoly, or Risk; more like Hanabi, Codenames, and Splendor)
- Going to concerts at small venues around Toronto (e.g. The Garrison, The Phoenix, Lee's Palace, The Horseshoe).
- Going to hipster-ville (e.g. west Queen-west, Dundas-west) for interesting beers/locales.
- Seeing musicals/theatre at big or small venues.
- Competing in a City Chase (a low-budget Amazing Race around Toronto that happens every summer).
- Riding bikes around Toronto for business and pleasure.
- Getting dressed up for a night out (e.g. at the Reservoir Lounge).
- Spending an afternoon in Kensington Market.
- Travelling, with a preference for adventure over tourist traps.
- And, sometimes, getting suuuuuper drunk at a bar/club/karaoke.
2. You like this profile and do not fit that physical description; I am still completely interested in meeting like-minded people for a non-date.
To all respondents: I just ask in advance that you follow through on whatever gets planned/decided. I know that sometimes it can't be helped, so, if you do need to cancel, it will make me very happy if you do it like this: "Hey, really sorry, something came up! But how about [suggestions for alternate days to get together]."