I am also: equal parts nerd (another thing that I could claim long before it was remotely hip) and sports-loving boy; an English major (can’t you tell by my username?) who got my MBA right out of undergrad; and a cynical, sarcastic city boy who can’t watch certain sitcoms because I feel too much empathy with the characters.
Politically I lean left, but half my friends are dyed-in-the-wool Wall St. Republican types.
For years, I thought of myself as Catholic due to my roots, but one of my brothers came out ten years back – and if the church isn't down with him, I’m not down with it. "Agnosticism" it is!
Perhaps most importantly, I like to think that over the years I’ve learned to focus more on the journey and less on the destination. I find life’s a lot more fun that way.
Then again, my most recent girlfriend thought my eyes were green (I mean they change depending on the light and what I'm wearing, but not THAT much) until about three months into the relationship, so who knows...
Movies: Pride & Prejudice (both the Garson/Olivier and the Ehle/Firth versions – NOT the Knightly version), I Know Where I'm Going, The Shop Around the Corner, Goodbye Mr. Chips, 12 Angry Men, North by Northwest, The In-Laws (Falk/Arkin version, NOT the Douglas/Brooks version), Raiders of the Lost Ark, Swingers, The Big Lebowski, Old School, Wedding Crashers, the Lord of the Rings trilogy and of course the Harry Potter films – they're cinematic comfort food.
TV: Masterpiece Mystery!, Downton Abbey, The Wire, The Daily Show, the Colbert Report, Law & Order reruns, the Big Bang Theory. Honestly, I tend to watch more movies and sports than "regular" TV.
Music: a surprisingly wide range from classical to big band to 80s pop to hard rock to electronica.
Food: not a big fan of most seafood (although I do like tuna and scallops) or squash, but other than that I'm not too picky.
- My white noise machine. I am a very light sleeper.
- All things Apple. After years of shaking my head at the self-important hipster fanboys who worshipped at the iAltar, my brothers eventually convinced me to switch. God help me, I even use Excel on a Mac now.
- Wash & fold. It's not even that I mind doing the washing; it's the folding that gets me. I don't know what it is, but something about that particular repetitive task drives me up the wall.
- Sunblock. It's pretty bad - I may be part vampire.
- Good food and drink. Hey, this counts - GOOD food and drink is different than the basic sustenance I was describing above.
- A gym membership. Keeps me sane. (Also allows for more frequent enjoyment of good food and drink.)
I should also probably add that if you don’t want kids, are a religious fanatic, practice an extreme diet, vote Tea Party or have lied about anything in your profile/posted deceptive photos, we probably aren’t a good match – and if that’s the case, I absolutely wish you the best of luck finding someone who is a good fit for you! (For the record, my age, height and everything else are all accurately represented.)