A lot of people like to share in their summary where they are from. Well, I'm from the Pacific Northwest. I don't really identify with it because I was never into the grunge scene of Seattle, nor the punk music scene in Olympia. Nor did I keep track of any sports teams or go skiing or camping or hiking ever. So I don't really have any Seattle markers, except that I wear plaid shirts and jeans mostly. I also have a beard and I like the rain and I like strong coffee and I like staying inside to read.
If you've ever dreamed of dating Al Borlin, but an Al Borlin with a book satchel instead of a tool belt, then your dreams might be coming true. (Although I am rather handy with tools as well.)
I am also the producer of a film festival about urban planning. Outside of my day job, I enjoy writing, stand up, learning to cook, advocating for bicycle safety and volunteering in the community.
Being patient while teaching people things whether it's throwing a frisbee, cooking, riding a bike, driving, or creative writing.
Making people laugh. I've been paid to do it! But I like doing it all the time just casually.
Experimenting in the kitchen and coming up with great feats or discoveries.
Other all time favorites: Our Mutual Friend, Losing Moses on the Freeway, Standing Up, Comedy on the Edge, My Life with the Saints, Geography of Nowhere, 100Years of Solitude, House on Mango Street, Speak What We Feel, America: the book, the Man who was Thursday, Bleak House, Bird by Bird, Lord of the Flies, GM Hopkins' and Anne Sexton's poetry.
All time favorite movies include: Hudsucker Proxy, Charade, Big Fish, True Grit, Taxi Driver, Elf, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, The Fog of War (you got to have a documentary on your list, right?), Elvis on Tour, The Revolution Will Not Be Televised, and Indiana Jones.
Shows: Modern Family, Seinfeld, Nightly News, Daily Show, Meet the Press, Colbert Report, How I Met your Mother, 30 Rock, King of the Hill, New Girl, Rev.
Periodicals: TIME, Utne Reader, Runners World, Mad Magazine, Geez Magazine, Nutrition Action, Cooks illustrated, LA Times(weekender), The Wittenburg Door, EW, LA Magazine, Sojourners, In These Times.
Music: Elvis, Leonard Cohen, Johnny Cash, Taj Mahal, Count Basie, Shoshtakovich, Herb Alpert, Temper Trap, Regina Spektor, Silver Sun Pick ups, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings.
Food: Pad Thai, Pizza, Egg rolls, French dip sandwiches, Pupusas.
2) Books, pen and paper.
4) Making people laugh.
5) Helping others.
6) Running shoes, a bicycle to ride.
How I can be of help to others.
Stuff I heard/read in the news.
How do I cook this at home?
- do you have a unique start up business in LA? I am intrigued.
- do you live / work in the Miracle Mile area ? What do you think about the development going on?
- are you involved in some aspect of the bike community? Which? How do you like it?
- have you ever been labeled an "old soul" by others or by yourself? How's that meshing with Los Angeles culture for you?
- do you know the name of your city council member? If you've traveled all over, but don't know this, I'm less impressed. I want to grow roots with someone, not consume experiences.
- do you know of the best LA pizza place? Or even just a really good pizza place? All suggestions welcomed.