I recently moved to Martha's Vineyard after returning to New England from New Orleans where I was playing music and embracing the spirit of that incredible city!!! I'm originally from Western Mass, wanted to move back to New England, and love feeling the four distinct seasons as they keep me tuned in to time passing and constant change.
I'm a performing musician, and also own and run a small business, and wouldn't have it any other way! I love the challenges and the flexibility.
What makes me tick:
* Music - making music with others; I'm a guitarist/singer-songwriter, and also play Tabla from India, the Bansuri and Saluang (flutes from India and Sumatra) ; writing music and lyrics; singin' out loud in the sunshine.
* Hangin' with my dog, Babu - a mellow chocolate lab, a hell of a swimmer and a total squirrel hound!!!
* The great outdoors! - surfing, swimming, pond ice skating and hiking with my pooch, running, rollerblading, tennis, hoops, camping, biking, skiing, snowshoeing, kayaking.
* Travel, especially in "developing" countries where if wealth were measured by the number of smiles a person has in their lifetime vs. the amount of rupees they own, they'd be considered much wealthier than we are here in the U.S.
* Maintaining that travel state-of-mind when all is a fresh, awe-filled experience.
* Striking up random conversations with strangers and connecting.
* Staying up late into the quietness of the early morning hours with an inspiring book or my guitar.
Movies - Harold and Maude, The Jerk, I Heart Huckabees, What the Bleep?, Spinal Tap, Best in Show, Baraka, Being There (Peter Sellers)
TV Shows: Sports - Avid Boston sports fan...Sox, Celts, Pats and Bruins!!! Pretty much the only thing I watch on TV, other than films, but don't watch much TV.
Music - can't really list favorites...too many, but i'll list genres and some musicians, and will say that i'm drawn to music with lots of soul and improvisation. Trad Jazz (Louis, Billie, Bechet, Charlie Christian, Nat King Cole Trio), Gypsy Jazz (Django), contemporary jazz (Miles, Wes, Grant Green, Pat Metheny), ragtime/country blues guitar (Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller), New Orleans Brass Bands (Soul Rebels, Rebirth, Baby Boyz) and Piano (Prof. Longhair), finger-style guitar (Mississippi John Hurt, Michael Hedges) classic rock (Beatles, Neil Young, The Dead, Zeppelin, Van Halen), west african Kora (Toumani Diabate), bluegrass, trad americana, folk rock - singer/songwriter stuff (Nick Drake, Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, Martin Sexton, Bill Morrissey), bossa nova (Joao Gilberto & Jobim), Hindusthani and Carnatic East Indian Classical music, the list goes on...
Food - Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Japanese (sushi), Mexican, New Orleanian (Cajun / Creole)