To make this a little more fun, I've decided to list up at the top here some things that I'd normally put in the "The Most Private Thing I'm Willing to Admit" section. Not quite a "self-summary", but hopefully it'll prevent your eyes from glazing over:
- I'm so into efficiency, I tend to drink my vegetables via blender. (Have you ever blended a normal-sized salad and witnessed how little volume the resulting liquid occupies at the bottom of a glass?)
- I'll read and watch anything that has a vampire in it.
- I'm a bit of an Apple fanboy.
- The idea of making multiple trips from the car to my apartment makes me cringe...which leads to toppling stacks of boxes and/or dozens of pounds of bags cutting into my palms. (I admit, this is a clear and embarrassing departure from my earlier claim to adore efficiency)
- Under "Religion" I was going to put Netflix, but that wasn't in the drop down menu.
- I will judge you based on speling and grammer mistakes, so proofread your profile.
- I sometimes hum softly to myself when I'm not paying attention. It's led to awkward looks from coworkers.
- When I'm watching a movie, particularly a scary one, I sometimes exclaim "oh my!" or "don't go in there!". I've tried to stop, but I've found it's as controllable as snoring.
- If you have a picture in your profile of a dog licking your mouth, I don't think we'll be a match.
Outside of work, I typically enjoy pastimes that emphasize relaxing, rather than exertion of effort. Some guys on here list the requisite "I also like to scale mountains on the weekends", whereas I enjoy organizing the Tupperware cabinet and watching Bill Maher to laugh about the week's news. I'm always trying to get outside for a run when the weather permits, tennis when it's sunny, and out onto the slopes in the winter. I'm also a fan of Bikram yoga, but my nonexistent trust fund forces me to scope out deals to local yoga studios, limiting my ability to regularly attend classes. Otherwise, I enjoy reading (sci-fi, fantasy, and post-apocalyptic future fiction), tinkering with electronics (laptop fixer-upper), maximizing my nutrient intake with my new blender, learning all I can about things I don't know from a combination of NPR and documentaries, and avoiding house chores.
- forgetting people's names
- recognizing a person just by their voice (comes in handy while watching animated films).
- working with my hands in a MacGyver-like way with whatever's around me to get things to "just work"
- watching awesome (crappy) TV
- popping my ears without need for gum (it's one of my only innate skills)
Books: The Time Traveler's Wife, The Historian, The Ax, the Harry Potter series, Admission, Sum, the Hunger Games trilogy, Wool: An Omnibus, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.
Movies: Contact, Sunshine, Once, the LTR Trilogy, Forgotten, Gravity.
Shows: American Horror Story, West Wing, Meet the Press, Downton Abbey, True Blood, almost any TEDTalk.
Music: Top 40 (Adele, Britney, Nicki Minaj, Beyonce, Demi Lovato, etc), lesser-known "prime time show soundtrack"-y stuff (Andrew Belle), Lilith Fair fare (Tori Amos, Alanis Morissette, Chantal Kreviazuk, Sarah McLachlan), cool people music (Kaskade, Basement Jaxx), and John Denver (you heard me!).
Food: pizza, lasagna (and anything with tomato sauce), mac & cheese, reubens, Pinkberry, Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
(FYI, I give serious points to people who actually answer this question...if you say "Well then it wouldn't be private, would it!", lighten up!).
- You match my age range
- You have a light-hearted (and don't rely on sarcasm) sense of humor.