I've spent a lot of time writing software, teaching physics, playing poker, playing piano, and traveling.
- playing piano and go. These are both relatively solitary and emotional pursuits.
- not taking unfair advantage of people
- maintaining long-distance relationships, particularly over writing
- getting emotionally rich experiences out of life
- The Little Prince
I watch almost none. Inside Out was pretty good. So was Lord of The Rings.
- A lot of piano music. Adagio from Mozart's Piano Concerto 23, Chopin's Prelude in D Minor, opening of Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto, etc.
- Things that have meaningful lyrics and are easy to sing to, somewhat biased towards female vocalists: Dar Williams, Vienna Teng, Girlyman
- Approximately everything, with as much diversity as possible. If I had to pick one food, right now it'd be poached eggs.
Highly desirable: thermarest/mattress, sheets, towel, piano, smartphone, coffee, leatherman, flashlight, toothbrush+toothpaste+soap+shampoo
What my ideal living situation might be like, and how I might find/make it.
30%: writing a letter to a friend
20%: getting dinner with a friend
20%: on a plane to go see a friend
- I've mentioned to an interviewer that I went to Alaska for a month while I actually was only there for ten days. I perceived my experience in Alaska as Very Important and I wanted him to perceive it this way, too.
- I've told my mom that I didn't have a job. I was pretty seriously thinking of quitting this job, and I didn't want her to judge me on that
- I've lied multiple times about e.g. what I did on the weekend. I didn't want to be judged for being a hermit.
I don't think I lie maliciously or with particularly negative consequences for anyone. But I'm not entirely sure.
I have anxiety. It's not crippling, but it's a notable part of my life. There are some circumstances I really just avoid for health reasons, e.g. loud bars. In general, my socialization tends to be strongly biased towards one on one interactions.
-a hiking/backpacking/cycling/hitchhiking/couchsurfing/etc friend -- my job is more important to me than getting away at the moment, but it will not always be this way and there are still weekends/vacations.
-someone(s) to play classical music with. I play piano -- I can stumble my way through a solid chunk of classical repertoire given sufficient practice but I'm not conservatory level or anything
-someone(s) to live with. This is a very long term pursuit and much pickier than the other two. I appreciate semi-communal living and a desire for long term stability. Other than that we just really have to befriend each other quite well.
But you can also find your own self-shaped hole :).
My attitude on physical intimacy is "whatever." I'm a bit squeamish and think a good dinner is better than sex. But I don't mind (and can enjoy) physical affection with people I'm very comfortable with.
My attitude on exclusive relationships is "no thanks." I would prefer to make whatever connections are beneficial for me, and for people close to me to do likewise. My attitude on commitment is "yes please" -- I do not make new connections at the detriment of my existing ones and prefer being close with people who do likewise.