Sassy, foul-mouthed, & forthright;
Empathetic, compassionate, self-renewing;
Frequent user of colloquialisms, Spanglish, slang;
Dancing fool, amused by my own jokes;
Full of love.
* In general, I try to live my life by this idea because nothing else really matters when you think about it. *
I am a freelance graphic designer and I'm currently working with a few interesting clients that are doing things I personally resonate with (I work with a local online magazine called Wear Your Voice that tackles intersectional feminism, social justice, and tearing down media norms). I also teach at the Berkeley Art Studio, which is a new thing that I'm growing to love.
I wasn't doing any of this, I'd probably be a therapist.
- Could be that I'm making a heinous sound with my throat because that's the only way I know how to scratch it when my allergies kick in
- Or maybe its that I'm smiling at you
- Or that I'm talking to a cat
Movies: There's a ton of movies that I probably should see, and that I haven't seen so feel free to throw recommendations (or your DVDs) my way. Some favorites are Fight Club, Back to the Future, A Waking Life, Babel, Science of Sleep, Amelie, The Artist, Lost in Translation, Motorcycle Diaries, Blade Runner, Anything Miyazaki, Tarantino, Coppola, Anderson
Shows: BROAD CITY, OITNB, Portlandia, Arrested Development, LOST, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, 30 Rock, Jessica Jones, whatever is getting the most hype on Netflix.
Music: Eskmo, Clark, Amon Tobin, Nosaj Thing, The Weeknd, A$AP Rocky, M.I.A., FKA Twigs, Banks, Phantogram, Beats Antique, Grimes, Com Truise, Kendrick Lamar, Purity Ring, Childish Gambino, Glass Animals, Toro y Moi, Washed Out, Justice, Junior Boys, The Black Keys, El Guincho, Salem, iamamiwhoami, Little Dragon, Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps, The Kills, The Smiths, Lush, My Bloody Valentine, Xeno & Oaklander, The Cure, Kraftwerk, Nina Simone, Buena Vista Social Club. Special places in my musical heart forever reserved for: mi reina Celia Cruz, and Bjork.
Also, I'm really into the local bass music scene/DJs and not above dancing ANYWHERE if the music hits me just right. Not afraid to be the only body on a dance floor either.
Food: Favorite? Cuban food. Let's not even kid ourselves. And no, there is not one Cuban restaurant worthy in the Bay, but I have an admittedly high standard since abuela's cooking is unparalleled.
• You've never started a sentence with some shit like "I'm not racist, but..." 'Racist' interchangeable with sexist, ableist, etc. You know?
• You're thoughtful and understand that behind these profiles we are all complex individuals who are much more than just bubbles & blurbs on a screen.
* In the spirit of being more intentional with this thing, I'm absolutely positively only interested on going dates with people who see themselves as emotionally available and open to the idea of having a partner -- oh, and not ANOTHER partner. Please don't fuck with me if you already have a partner, want something "casual", or just got out of a long relationship. Filed under: Things I Don't Want To Deal With Again. *