A list of general facts about me:
- I like public transportation.
- When driving, I prefer manual transmissions.
- I'm kind of loud...
- I make excellent chicken and dumplings.
- I like tables.
- I prefer: my eating to be done at tables (or bars), stax to motown, bugs bunny to mickey mouse, waffles to pancakes, bourbon to scotch, records to cds (or other, less tangible, digital formats)
If it matters: born in Louisiana, grew up in Arkansas; since then I have lived in Alabama, Zambia, and here in Southern California.
* but not holding them open for people 50 feet away
° I also use forks, knives, spoons, and chopsticks when the need arises
• I have (many) additional opinions/beliefs, but thought I would give a reasonable sample
- enumerating, reporting, and explaining communicable disease
- conducting observational studies
- outbreak investigations
- thinking about how to improve things
- improving things
- speaking in calm soothing tones
- making wildly inappropriate comments at inopportune moments
- making lists
Beyond that. I read, write, cook, eat, drink, talk, laugh, make friends, develop wildly elaborate social systems in my head, and teach chimpanzees how to read.
music: cash, emmylou harris, gram parsons, tom waits, nick cave, nina simone, leonard cohen, bach, mozart, aretha franklin, gillian welch, arvo part, ramones, iggy pop and the stooges, ac/dc, ryan adams, bob marley, prince, otis redding, black keys, white stripes, beck
movies: the outlaw josey wales, the great escape, blade runner, adaptation, goodfellas, chinatown, big lebowski, bull durham, no country for old men, inglorious basterds, the professional, guardians of the galaxy
food: raw, cooked; animal, plant, mineral -- variety: sushi, dry aged beef, apple fritters, dumplings, crisp salads, duck skin, oysters, blueberries, cultured cream, watermelon, various greens, naturally purple/blue lifeforms, purple hulled peas
- sharp knives
- duct tape
- probability, epidemiology, informatics
- rats, crows, cephalopods
- the biological bases for morality, violence, and sexual expression
- food preservation
- heading off dystopian futures
- dr. moto moto
- the vulcan death grip
Sharpening my guard leopard's teeth. Her name is Pearl.
- you have no outstanding warrants or restraining orders
- you accept the possibility that biscuits and gravy -- the preparation, arrangement, and consumption of -- can be considered a form of artistic endeavor.
- you always carry a pair of chopsticks in your hair.