I know who I'm looking for. Be able to hike/backpack with me. Be political and left leaning. Don't be religious unless your religion is nature. Like sarcasm. Don't be freaked out when I eat meat. Mock me and laugh with/at me. Enjoy the honest stupidity and aweful puns that are my daily self.
I was born and raised in Michigan, spent a year in Sweden, lived in Vermont for a while, and then found my way to Colorado. I miss the hardwood forests and water, but I love the mountains and weather here.
I'm a mathematician turned software engineer and data scientist. In my spare time, I travel, hike, backpack, snowboard, and do landscape photography. I've been to Europe ten times and north of the Arctic Circle six times.
But, my work isn't my life. I'm a serious hobby landscape photographer and outdoorsman. I spend too much time staring at maps and planning trips, calculating which peaks or lakes to be at for sunrise or sunset. I spend a lot of weekends in the mountains.
I also sometimes just come home and crash on my couch and watch Netflix.
I play on two softball teams during the summer.
2) I'm better at building a campfire than anyone you've ever known. (I'm an Eagle Scout and I've made a ton of campfires in rain, shine, snow, etc.) If I get to a campsite within a day of someone else having a fire, no matter how well they put it out, I can usually restart it.
What am I not good at?
1) I don't recognize people by their faces as I'm faceblind. Google: prosopagnosia. I recognize people in many other ways.
2) I am bad at producing my own insulin as I'm a type 1 diabetic.
My eyes don't always line up. I never got a good explanation from the parents on that one.
Movies and TV: Snatch, The Big Lebowski, The Shawshank Redemption, Stargate, Doctor Who.
Music and Radio: Lots of stuff could go here. I pay for Spotify and Hearts of Space, and listen for a few hours every day while at work. Scrolling through my lists randomly on Spotify brings up: Vance Joy, Silversun Pickups, Toto, Royksopp, Falling You, Jose Gonzalez, Iron and Wine, Calexico, The Shins, and a lot more. I listen to NPR a lot and keep a load of podcasts ready for car trips: This American Life, Radio Lab, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, The Moth, Skeptics Guide to the Universe, Intelligence Squared, 99% Invisible, etc.
Food: Lots of stuff could go here. I'm not picky. I like to cook, I know the difference between boiling and blanching, I like my steaks rare, and I make a mean jambalaya.
2) Puns, sarcasm, and humor in general.
3) A fun side project, or five, to work on.
4) Getting outdoors.
5) Coffee (although I think I like tea more)
6) Insulin injections (literally)
I could do without some things though: hunger, AIDS, and cancer in the world; people without a sense of humor; and Ohio.