my favorite quote of the moment: "Everyone of us is called upon, probably many times, to start a new life. A frightening diagnosis, a marriage, a move, loss of a job ... and onward full tilt we go, pitched and wrecked and absurdly resolute, driven in spite of everything to make good on a new shore. To be hopeful, to embrace one possibility after another - that is surely the basic instinct...Crying out into the glorious debris. Time to take this life for what it is." Barbara Kingsolver
doing yoga, they will notice my flexibility ... & more & more, my strength. with my grandkids, they'll see me crawling around on the floor, being a monster or laughing my head off ... or singing & dancing. if i am delighted by something or someone, they might notice that my eyes disappear when i smile.
* favorite recent nonfiction ~ "Lady's Hands, Lion's Heart: A Midwife's Saga" & "A General Theory of Love"
* bedside: Rumi, Rilke, Mary Oliver, Anne Lamott
* a recent favorite movie ~ "Incendies"
also, I'm a Ryan Gosling fan. "Lars & the Real Girl"; "Blue Valentine"; he even made "Crazy Stupid Love" watchable.
* a favorite DC restaurant ~ Zaytinya (Greek, Turkish, Lebanese small plates)
* so much music ~ Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, James Taylor, Bob Marley, Ella Fitzgerald, Sting, Feist, Corinne Bailey Rae, Eva Cassidy ... & all my young musician friends & family who play incredible jazz music - Tomas Fujiwara, Brian Settles, Danny Mayer & OTS Trio, Finn Singer, the list goes on & on & ...
* tv news: Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Bill Maher, Rachel Maddow, Keith Olbermann
* tv fun/pleasure: Dexter (Oct 2 return - woo hoo!), and now Homeland (excellent!), Nurse Jackie, The Big C, So You Think You Can Dance
* former tv series: Six Feet Under, My So Called Life
* close family & best friends, including my son & grandsons & new granddaughter
* a serene, welcoming & beautiful environment in which to live & work
* solitude & silence
* ocean & sand & trees & flowers & beauty & art & music & movement. how many is that? way more than 6!!! i am blessed by so much. could i NEVER do without some of these? of course, i could & so many do. if it happened, i imagine resilience would carry me onto the next incarnation.
May your fears yield
Their deepest tranquilities.
May all that is unlived in you
Blossom into a future
Graced with love."
___ John O'Donohue