If I had the choice between spending the afternoon at the Cloisters, going to an art installation/dance party till 4AM, going to Bear Mountain, seeing an opera/play/theater or cooking a fancy dinner (or tacos) at home and watching a movie/playing cards/researching cloisonne, I'd be genuinely hard-pressed to make a decision (though I would make one).
Items of Interest!:
-- Cash Cab winner!
-- Skipped 2nd grade. Distant history now, but it was definitely a formative event
-- Created/led a book club where several friends and I read the whole of Ulysses aloud across 16 Tuesday evenings while drinking Guinness and eating Irish treats
-- Made a few hundred dollars writing poetry. This probably places me in the 99.99th percentile of top poetry earners ever
-- I've been blurbed
Past lives include: a fishmonger, materials scientist, playwright/director, poet, chef-in-training, filmmaker, rare book purveyor, book reviewer, trivia host (and champion!) and founder of a lawnmowing empire (OK, maybe more of a fiefdom...)
Oh, and a fortune teller on Coney Island once told me I had a cracked aura, so if you have the Gift that's probably going to jump right out at you.
Books: Joyce, Atwood, Chandler, Pynchon, Ellroy, Mitchell, Amis
Recently: my friend Tom's debut novel Dry Bones in the Valley -- it's fantastic! Devil in the White City, The Book of the New Sun. On deck: Pale Fire, maybe New York Trilogy
Movies: I'm an old and foreign film buff -- Dr. Strangelove, Sunset Blvd., High and Low, Rear Window, Masculin Feminin, most Coens, Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Wilder, Renoir
TV: Breaking Bad, The Wire, Peep Show, Prime Suspect, IASIP, Venture Bros., Fawlty Towers, Mr. Show, Louie, Simpsons
Music: A smattering -- Talking Heads, Sonic Youth, Deerhunter, Pavement, The Kinks, GBV, Jackie Mittoo, reggae (dub - King Tubby and A Pablo), Big Boi/Outkast, Broken Social Scene, Class Actress, Woods, Janelle Monae, Wagner, Puccini (I listen to opera sometimes while I make buildings. I suspect it's quite similar to being a deity of some sort.) and many, many others. Recently listening to lots of Speedy Ortiz and Blood Orange.
Food: Mexican, Italian and French are my faves, but I'm not a picky eater. Would perform unspeakable acts for warmed/toasted goat cheese
2. My chef's knife -- Wusthof. 10". Indispensable in the kitchen. Useful for making delicious things.
3. Glasses/contacts -- This may seem a bit of a cop out, but I have horrible vision and would probably have died in early adolescence if I had born in the pre-spectacle age. If you like migraines, playfully try on my glasses sometime.
4. Keys -- I'm slightly paranoid and obsessive about forgetting and losing my keys
5. Lighter -- Useful for tons of stuff. Besides, Prometheus went through some shit to bring us fire. The least I can do is carry some around in my pocket.
6. My rubber plant -- I love nature but have always had horrible success growing plants -- except for my rubber plant! I've successfully not-killed it for about 7 or 8 years now and watched it expand to about 12x its original size. It's like part of the family now. I call him Rubby.
-- I recently won a Natural History museum membership. Free, potentially fun date if you're into that
-- You like leaving the city sometimes
-- You'll go see old movies or new bands with me
-- You're tall (This last is just a mild preference, not a deal-breaker by any means...)