I have a very sweet dog named Scully.
I grew up outside Chicago, went to college in western New York, and then spent six years in LA for grad school. After living in Detroit for a year, I moved to Buffalo four years ago for my job.
If there is anything I own too many of, it is books.
I am inquisitive, analytic, and upbeat
Here's a quote I really like:
“There's a point, around the age of twenty, when you have to choose whether to be like everybody else the rest of your life, or to make a virtue of your peculiarities.” - Ursula K. LeGuin, 'The Dispossessed'
I have some hobbies that I am bad at keeping up with:
knitting, a podcast I make with a friend (you can listen to an episode where we talk about stacking animals on top of each other here: http://requestcomics.com/podcast/episode8.mp3 ), playing the flute, I also used to make some comics online with some friends, and sort of do improv with some folks
B) Casablanca, The Princess Bride, Clueless, Dirty Dancing, The Muppet Movie, The Maltese Falcon, Brick, The Lady Vanishes, Lives of Others, What's Up Doc.
C) Terrace House, the Good Place, Arrested Development, BoJack Horseman, In The Flesh, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99, The Wire, Golden Girls, Twin Peaks, Columbo, Stranger Things, Orange is the New Black, Gilmore Girls, Community, The X-Files, Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, Veronica Mars, Iron Chef Japan (Dubbed), Star Trek: The Next Generation.
D) The Mountain Goats, the Hamilton cast recording, Erin McKeown, Dar Williams, Sufjan Stevens, Wilco, Cat Power, Metric, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Beirut, Girl Talk, Janelle Monae, 80s pop, 90s alternative, Neko Case, Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers, LP, Tori Amos, Kenna, The Indigo Girls, the Dixie Chicks.
Also, the song "Oh, Sweet Nuthin'" by the Velvet Underground.
E) Indian, Thai, Mexican, Italian
2) New music. Every so often, I lose interest in my music because I've been listening to the same handful of albums over and over. The best way to snap out of that, I found, is when a friend turns me on to a new band (or an old band I don't know about), which not only infuses my music collection with some fresh blood, but also kick starts my interest in the rest of my old favorites as well.
3) People who know a whole lot about interesting topics. I do a lot of learning by conversation. I love to talk to people about things and set my mind racing about them. This works way better when I can stop someone and ask them about the various tangents that pop into my head than when I have to proceed at whatever pace was chosen for a particular book. I love having conversations where I can just soak up a ton of information, and then dive in head first to talking and thinking about it. I also like the reverse, where I am trying to explain things to other people, but not as much as when I am the one absorbing the information.
4) Internet/phone: I have close friends spread all over the country/globe. Which is awesome, but also frustrating. It genuinely bothers me that I won't ever live near all the really important people in my life at the same time. But for all the fist shaking people tend to do about Facebook and smartphones ruining our social lives, they have been pretty integral in allowing me to maintain real friendships with folks I don't get to see regularly.
5) Creative outlets. I spend a lot of time in a very analytical/intellectual mode, reading philosophy and dissecting arguments and all that. Working on the internet comics and doing improv have made me realize that my life is much fuller and more complete when I have an outlet for my more creative energies, alongside my more abstract studies.
6) Plans. I used to have "books" on this list , which is a good enough entry I suppose, and tells you something important about me, but I realized it is more important for you to know that I am plan-oriented. I think the average person I met when living in LA was approximately twenty times too flaky. It's not like I only want to hang out with people who map out every part of their lives, but I think I run into more issues from things being under planned than from them being too planned.
I've lost about 100 pounds since last September.
I am enthusiastic about nerdy board games, and also about musicals.
You are crafty in any sense of the word.
You get double bonus points if you buck outdated social norms and message me first.
Also, here is my absolute favorite line from any book I have ever read. It is from Pride and Prejudice:
"I am the happiest creature in the world. Perhaps other people have said so before, but not one with such justice. I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh."
You might want to message me if that quote speaks to you.