I work in cognitive neuroscience and kill time by putting volunteers in MRI scanner to try to figure how they integrate sound and vision as a coherent whole. Not clear ? Ask me questions.
I climb regularly and run, swim or play squash when I can! Though I recently destroyed my right knee so no lower body sports for me for a while.
I recently started dancing Lindy hop and find it fun at it though I am quite bad.
Another thing you might need to know is that I tend to think of myself as a secular humanist, a rationalist, skeptic and a materialist (in the scientific sense of the term - not in the old philosophical one).
In a less pompous way : I just love science !
If there is Skeptics in the Pub get together around, you are likely to see me there!
Politically : red and black are my colors, with some green here and there and huge dose of purple.
In general I'm here to meet people not far from me and see how it goes from there.
Two last things : The "bi" in my profile is to be understood as "bi - curious". I do have a preference for polyamourous relationship.
2) Trying to make a difference... which is hard for a biologist cause we hate mathematics !
- weird and extraordinary claims,
As we are usually quite poor at estimating our own skills, especially when we suck at something, I'll be cautious about what I am going to say.
I guess I am not so bad cooking and baking, though I always find that I am not imaginative enough.
I have been told to be a good listener.
I have also been told that I am a good photographer, climber and squash player... But, honestly, I doubt it !
- my hair,
- the weird pattern of my beard/goatee,
- my eyes,
- my piercings,
- the political/geeky/sexually connotated message on my T-shirt .
Fiction ( Mostly science-fiction ):
- China Mieville
* Perdido Street Station
* The scar
* The iron council
- Robert Anton Heinlein
* Starship troopers
* The moon is a harsh mistress
* Stranger in a strange land
- Kim Stanley Robinson
* Red mars
* Green mars
* Blue mars
- Ursula Leguin
* The dispossessed
* The left hand of darkness
- Iain Banks
* The culture series (esp The player of games, Use of weapons, Excession...)
- Joe Haldeman
* The forever war
- most of Asimov
- Stephen Jay Gould
* The mismeasure of man
- Elisabeth Lloyd
* The case of the female orgasm
- Jean Bricmont & Alan Sokal
* Fashionable non-sense
What is thing called science ?
Non-sense on stilts
... A lot of other sciency things
- Noam Chomsky & Edward Herman
* The manufacture of consent
- Jean Bricmont
* Imperialisme humanitaire
- Daniel Guerin
* Ni dieu, ni maitre
- Richard Dawkins
* The god delusion
- Howard Zinn
* A people's history of the USA
... A lot of other political things
The manufacturing of consent
You cannot be neutral on a moving train
SERIES & ANIMA
Ghost in the shell : SAC
Pretty eclectic. My interests range from classical music to jazz and metal. I do not really care for reggae though.
- the scientific method (whatever that beast is), critical thinking...
- a sense of morality or ethics,
- LISTS! I love lists! Especially "to do lists"!!!! I even got lists of lists!!!
How can a man be helpful to the feminist cause ?
And why does it have to be Friday night specifically ? Really ?! I could give the same answer for any other day.
Anyway I do not think that I plan my life with such regularity.
I find PIV over-rated.