• I love movies. It's important to me that the people in my life like them. Or at the very least will listen to me when I tell them what movies are good. I alphabetize my DVDs. I can talk about movies and directors and actors for a really long time.
• I'm a low key kind of girl - not really a partier. Wanna stay in, cook dinner, and play Scrabble? Watch out. I'm a seven letter word fiend. You'll think you're winning and then BAM! Seven letters.
• I love to craft. Knitting, crochet, sewing, embroidering, making jewelry, making chocolates (I make a killer salted dark chocolate caramel), and I’m teaching myself to whittle. And while I’m whittling, I plan to whistle a jaunty tune. A gazillion bonus points if you know what that's a quote from.
• Nerdy confessions: I really like spelling. And grammar. And organizing. I was very excited when I bought my P-touch. Also I'm pretty good at computers.
• My favorite word is omphaloskepsis. It means "the act of contemplating one's navel." I find I use it daily.
• I can say "five little monkeys jumping on the bed" in nine different languages - English, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Polish, Hebrew, Portuguese, and Latin. If you want to teach me it in another language, that would be badass.
• I make an awesome chocolate chip cookie. Trust me. People scoff. Then they try one. Then they try eight. Then they yell at me to knock it off with the baking. Then they say they're sorry and have 5 more.
• I can canoe really well. I have my own custom paddle and everything. Granted, I haven't been in about 15 years - but I used to be really good. I was a style canoeist. It's a real thing. I would really love to get to go canoeing again.
I’m trying to read more. I used to all the time - I don't know what happened. I think I blame the Internet. However, books I’ve loved in the past: She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (my favorite book), the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, most Kurt Vonnegut, Joyce Carol Oates, Margaret Atwood, most JD Salinger, all Roald Dahl (oh that loveable anti-Semite), the Harry Potters, Brave New World, Phantom Tollbooth, The Giver. Right now I'm working my way through the Vonnegut novels I haven't yet read.
I seriously love movies. This leads me to do silly things like make really long movie lists on dating websites.
300, The Addams Family Movies (they’re funnier than you remember, I promise), American Beauty, American History X, American Psycho, Being John Malkovich, Chasing Amy, Children of Men, Clerks, Clue, Dark Knight, Deep Blue Sea (shut up, it’s campy and I love it), Drop Dead Gorgeous, Election, Empire Records (which I may have memorized), Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, eXistenZ, Fifth Element, Fight Club, Forgetting Sarah Marshall (I'm in love with Jason Segel), Hedwig And The Angry Inch (my current favorite), Inglourious Basterds, Knocked Up, Lake Placid (it’s about a giant crocodile! How can you not love that?), Little Shop Of Horrors, Magnolia (that movie blows me away every single time), Newsies (What can I say? It’s a thing from my childhood. Christian Bale sings!), Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Princess Bride, Quills, Reign of Fire, Requiem For A Dream (Even though I haven’t watched it since I bought the DVD because I find it physically painful to watch), Rocky Horror Picture Show, Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore, Saved!, Serial Mom, Sin City, Slither (trust me, it rocks), So I Married an Axe Murderer, Starship Troopers, Stranger Than Fiction, Three Kings, To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar, Welcome To The Dollhouse, Wet Hot American Summer, Zach And Miri Make A Porno
I watch Game of Thrones like pretty much everybody else on the planet. I also love Jane the Virgin (it is a hilarious awesome show, don't let the premise fool you), The Americans, Fargo, Man Seeking Woman, Agents of Shield, Casual, Top Chef, You're the Worst, Key and Peele, Mr. Robot
And now, a moment of silence for my canceled loves of the past... Buffy, Friday Night Lights, West Wing, The Sopranos, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, My-So Called Life, Six Feet Under, Freaks and Geeks, United States of Tara, The Shield... even the list makes me sad. Good TV always gets canceled. Network bastards!
OK... Honesty time. I've tried very hard, but I am just not a huge music person. Most of my friends are. But I just don't have a huge range. I've been listening to the same stuff since I was 13. I put my iPod on random (which apparently is a cardinal sin to music people). I do, however, sing in my car. Loudly. With hand gestures. And seat dancing. I love a good stoplight dance party.
I'm also a HUGE musical theater fan. Seriously. It turns me into a huge smiley dork. I have season tickets to Pantages.
I've been a picky eater in the past, but now I'm looking to expand my food horizons. Indian and Mexican food are amazing. I tried sushi but I'm allergic to fish now. I definitely have a candy problem - I always have some on me. I heart pasta. I don't trust people who don't like cheese or chocolate. My grandmother's brisket is one of the most delicious things ever - that's Jewish brisket, not that crazy BBQ stuff people in Texas eat. Put me in front of a medium rare Filet Mignon and I am a happy happy girl. Dessert is crucial - what's life without dessert? Sad, that's what.
OK, I totally do.