So who is this sentient energy, this republic of cells? I'm constantly awed at the immensity and beauty of the universe. I don't think that it's radical or naive to say that we should uphold ideas like equality, justice, human rights, and animal rights. I believe that we should protest and take direct action to end all war because peace is the only state in which we can collectively flourish. I also think that universal health care, a living wage, better and more affordable housing for all, a socialized child care system, free higher education for all people, electoral reform, reform of our legal/penal system, and finding serious solutions to solve the various environmental crises our species has created should be at the forefront of every person's mind as we try and reconfigure our society for a more sustainable and humane future.
I know that sounded like I was delivering some beauty pageant contestant speech or something, but I'm really not that serious or preachy all the time. I think that laughter is an essential part of life, and in the right company I will laugh until my stomach hurts. I also don't think adults spend enough time playing--I like board games, toys like Legos, and blowing soap bubbles.
Besides this, I'm a bookworm; I usually have 3 or 4 books I'm reading at any one time. I love cooking (I have wooed confirmed carnivores with my vegan cuisine). I could spend all day wandering around museums and galleries.
Update: I'm working at a vegan cafe in Honolulu and making art for a show I have coming up in February.
Movies: My favorite movies have artsy cinematography and smart dialogue. I really dig foreign films, indie films, and anime. Some of my favorite flicks are Tokyo Godfathers, The Dark Crystal, Edward Scissorhands, Donnie Darko, The Neverending Story, A Clockwork Orange, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Wes Anderson movies, I Heart Huckabees, Lost in Translation, and Waking Life. I am a documentary junkie, and I highly recommend watching The Corporation, Earthlings, Food Inc., or anything with John Pilger.
Music: My musical taste is somewhat eclectic; I like classic rock, electronica (esp. drum and bass, break beats, downtempo, trance, and jungle), jazz (the old stuff, not that easy listening crap), reggae, punk/ska, folk/indie music, classical, and even a little bit of country. My favorite artists of all time are Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, and The Flaming Lips, but if my heart could sing it would sound like the Heartthrob album by Tegan and Sara. I do like being exposed to music (and movies, food, etc.) so it shouldn't be hard to find something we both like.
Food: I eat mostly vegan, but I'm not crazy strict about it. I try not preachy about it either, but it would be extra points if you at least like eating veg every once in a while.
3) Art supplies
6) Hot showers
- You're a positive person who knows that they can change the world for good. (No negative people need apply.)
- You would perhaps like to go see art exhibits, foreign films, live music, or chat somewhere over a beverage. Maybe we could pack a picnic lunch and spend the day playing at a park or the beach.
- You're an artist or other creative type and you want to make crafts, draw, paint, cook food, etc. I love being surrounded with queer, quirky souls that delight in breaking the social mold and being their true selves!
- You own a copy of the movie Teen Witch and want to watch it with me. If you haven't seen it, check out this hilarious 90's rap battle scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEa1BYBgeQI
- you're 420 friendly, but don't carry any habit to excess.