I'm a Midwestern transplant from Chicago, with a detour in North Dakota (It's a weird story and I'm pretty certain you've never heard it before) (It involves Jesus in a very interesting way) and moved to New York in 2006. I love words and good conversation, making new friends, hearing their stories and experiencing art in any way it comes. I'm pretty straightforward and direct with a slightly dark, wicked and skewed sense of humor, none of which will translate here because ... tone. And I dislike emoji's but they are a necessary evil in this age. So ... ;-)
I go to the theatre a lot and will sit through pretty much anything. There's always something to take away, even if it's just a really great line reading.
• A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
• Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff
• American Gods by Neil Gaiman
• Little Children by Tom Perrotta
• Anything by Tom Perrotta, really
• Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
• Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
• The Garden of Last Days by Andre Dubus
• Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
• One Day by David Nicholls
• The Passage by Justin Cronin
• Anything by Jonathan Tropper
• Anything Hanif Kureishi
• Anything by David Rakoff. I re-read his work pretty regularly and am taking my time with his last book. Still pretty sad about his passing.
• Flirting with Disaster
• Love is Strange
• Rabbit Hole
• Anything Joss Whedon ... I'll pretty much watch anything. I like to get lost in the moment, completely suspend reality. I don't ask questions, just shut up and go with it.
• Orphan Black
• BoJack Horseman
• The Good Wife (how excellent is this show. Do yourself a favor and watch this if you aren't already)
• Veep (same as above)
• Law & Order
• The 100
• The Americans
• Game of Thrones
• Person of Interest
• Childrens Hospital
(Artists currently in my top 25 listened on iTunes)
• Betty Carter
• Carmen McRae
• Eyrkah Badu
• Meshell Ndegeocello
• Tori Amos
• Robert Glasper
• Kings of Convenience
• Beach House
• Janet Jackson
• Jill Scott
• New Order
• Kendrick Lamar
• En Vogue ... pretty much anything from the early to mid 90's, r&b, alt rock, house and also a big fan of classic rare disco.
• Thanksgiving dinner. Never disappoints.
• Good music
• A warm blanket
• A good laugh
• My work
And I turn into Julianne Moore in Safe when I'm in crowded spaces. All insular, internalized, quiet mid 90s indie film angst ...
And I can't whistle.
Also, in a previous life I trained to be an opera singer. I don't, or can't, sing anymore but I do miss it at the most random times.
p.s. Big plus if you're my height or taller and the big spoon ... Huge plus if you're a good kisser.