I have degrees in things that - while not all that practical - allow me to read The Iliad and The Odyssey in the original Greek (while laughing at all the sex jokes) and then rock your face off with a guitar onstage. Or, you know, serenade you. Whichever. And really, I *would* like to find someone worth serenading.
When I was a kid I thought that mistletoe was a supervillain who shot rockets out of his feet. I imagined his partner in crime might be called Cold Turkey, who would cackle as he yelled at his arch-nemesis, "You'll never stop...COLD TURKEY!"
I name every guitar I own based on its personality and relationship to important people and events in my life at the time of its acquisition. I find raw tomatoes and ketchup utterly repulsive, but tomato sauce - for some inexplicable reason - gets a pass.
I'm weird, I guess.
- Stitch from 'Lilo and Stitch,"
- the singer from Newfound Glory
- the singer from SR-71.
So...karaoke, anyone? Also, I'm pretty okay at songwriting.
Movies: The original Star Wars Trilogy, Sky High, That Thing You Do!, Hot Fuzz, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, 50/50, Transformers: The Movie (the original 1986 animated one...NOT the Michael Bay atrocities. I need to make that abundantly clear), Evil Dead(s), Wet Hot American Summer, Galaxy Quest.
TV: Sons of Anarchy, Sherlock, True Detective, GoT, Farscape. And since I'm kinda over Downton Abbey I'm finally getting down to watching The Wire. I'm also a USA Network junky. Burn Notice? Psych? White Collar? Suits? Covert Affairs? Graceland? YES I KNOW THEY'RE ALL BASICALLY THE SAME FORMULAIC SHOW BUT I'M A SUCKER FOR IT SO SHH.
Music: AFI, Alkaline Trio, Bad Religion, Ben Folds Five, Blur, Butch Walker/Marvelous 3, Johnny Thunders, The Killers, The New York Dolls, One Man Army, The Pink Spiders, The Replacements, Richard Hell, Sahara Hotnights, The Smiths, Social Distortion, The Sounds, The Stone Roses.
- Rock and roll
- Old friends and new ones.
- My Top 10 Favorite Albums of All Time (I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours)
- If one were to sing Blur's "Charmless Man" at karaoke immediately after singing The Smiths' "This Charming Man," would the universe implode?
- what part of my home recording studio I'm going to upgrade next (UPDATE: I've moved to a smaller place so while I still think about this, feasibility is...questionable...at best)
- why George Lucas refused to accept that Obi-Wan Kenobi needed to be the hero and focal point of the prequel trilogy
- seriously I spend way too much time thinking about pomeranians and awesome pomeranian names (Sadie, Grimlock, and Megatron top the list)
After seeing Ghostbusters 2 as a kid, I had nightmares about Vigo (the guy in the painting) for over a year.
Or, you know...
- If you're sweet and caring and funny and witty and clever and awesome and cute.
- If you agree that David Tennant is the best Doctor, or at least make a compelling argument for Matt Smith but will allow my Tennant mancrush.
- If you want to tell me your favorite Ramones song that's not "I Wanna Be Sedated" or "Blitzkrieg Bop." Because really, those two are just a given.
- You know the rap from Revenge of the Nerds in its entirety.