I like things that are great for no reason — Tim Minchin's songs would be popular if the backing was chords and a baseline but I love that he's a brilliant pianist anyway. I get cross when things are awful for no reason — some things can't be helped, but arbitrary rules and limitations infuriate me.
I think maths and people and the universe are all wonderfully fascinating and I've very little time for people who'd rather believe in færies or astrology or other such nonsense.
I'm in a very happy polyamorous relationship with Auri-o-matic. We have jobs in different cities this year, so I think it's time to explore secondary relationships — I guess I'm looking for something a bit more casual? We'll see. But I haven't updated all the match questions because how tragic would it be to find myself single and spend a Friday night changing them all back?
OkCupid seems determined to match me with people whose name ends in "-asaurus". I am 100% OK with this.
They say you should do something every day that scares you, so I have started cycling to work.
Also, procrastination. I think I've answered all the match question now. There are 8,359. The last one is "is this what you planned to do this week?".
• The Divine Comedy (Band) — nobody can write a rhyme like Neil Hannon.
• Duke Special — OK, maybe one person can write a rhyme like Neil Hannon
• Amanda Palmer — ONLY THREE PEOPLE can write a rhyme like Neil Hannon.
• The Prestige
• Some things that aren't pretentious I can't recall just now.
• Anything by Steven Moffat.
• The X Files, series five, episode twelve.
• Anything with David Mitchell.
• Anything in the Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman Venn Diagram
• Anything by the other David Mitchell.
• Leeks. They're good, aren't they?
2. My keys - I need them to get into my flat.
3. Coffee - I function okay without it, to be honest, but I don't see why I should have to. Going to make coffee is a nice little break that sort of feels like legitimate work activity.
4. List padding
5. Mental stimulation - interesting people and books and TV and so on. I go a bit crazy without it, especially if there's coffee.
6. iPlayer - what, you expect me to be in my house at certain times so I can watch TV? No, thankyou.
Thursday nights I normally go out for a few drinks with friends, and somehow it tends to end up being quite a lot of drinks, not always with the same people. I never plan for that, but the first thing that goes when I have a few drinks is any recollection that I don't intend to have another lots of drinks. Well, the first thing that goes is my already-borderline ability to play pianos, but usually there isn't one about so nobody notices.
The worst I can do is ignore you, right?
Well, no, the worst I can do is print out all your match questions and your photo and stick it all up all over town. But I won't do that. I don't even have a printer.