* Natural Activity! I love spending time outdoors. Running, biking, rock climbing, frisbee (Ultimate, not golf), hiking, you name it.
* People Passion! I treasure the relationships I've built with friends and family over the years. I love talking to people, learning about their experiences, and creating new memories.
* Progressive Worldview! I'm interested in equality of opportunity, in rational government and intelligent dialog. I'm an abstract thinker who is open to new ideas and I love to find out I was wrong about something.
* Goal Oriented! I like to be doing things. I'd much rather go for a walk than watch TV, and I'd rather see live music than a movie.
* Musical Machinations! Loud drum solos, and enthusiastic piano playing! Skill not guaranteed.
* Science! I'm an economist, and I study lots of interesting things -- like marijuana, Medicare, and mergers (ok maybe this last one isn't as interesting).
I'm looking for people to share my life with and who might be interested in building something together. I don't care very much about what you're doing with your life as long as you are passionate about it.
Otherwise I love travelling, particularly for unique experiences. I went to Burning Man for the first time in 2015 as part of a bicycle service camp -- I don't think I've ever experienced as much concentrated joy.
Silliness. In groups I like to entertain and improvise -- the concept of "yes, and..." is one of my favorite ideas. I like to throw in the sly quips, the quick callbacks, and the occasional trip down the crooked road of absurdity.
Story telling. Intense drama with larger-than-life characters, absurd situation, narrow escapes, vigorous hand gestures, and a guarantee (with only the slightest hint of a wink) that everything I'm telling you actually happened.
Movies: I like all sorts of movies, but two I'll call out are Fight Club and Memento. Two movies that make you think hard about the nature of reality and how we alter our perception to match what we desire. Otherwise, give me an action movie or a good drama any day.
Music: I enjoy quite a wide variety of music. I was brought up on a diet of classical music and oldies, and my love for those styles has hung around through the years. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy ridiculous pop (especially when out dancing) too. I suppose as long as there is something interesting about the music -- whether instrumentation, lyrics, melodic structure, or otherwise, I'm up for it. Burning Man totally turned me on to EDM, and the number of one-person dance parties in my house has skyrocketed.
Here are some bands I think are pretty good: RAC, Lemaitre, Uppermost, Phoenix, Spoon, Vampire Weekend, OK Go, Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, The Killers, Feist, Ben Folds, Reel Big Fish, They Might Be Giants, Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dispatch, Dave Brubeck, Glenn Miller, Lionel Hampton
Food: I love cooking for people -- I make pretty mean lasanga, fried chicken, and banana bread. I'll try anything twice, and my copy of The Joy of Cooking is delightfully worn.
Something interesting to read.
My bike, to go exploring.
A frisbee disc, for a little fun.
Some green space.
Friends to share the experience with.
I like to take my time when making large personal decisions -- get the facts, see what my gut feel is, consider consequences, that sort of thing. The decision to move west to Oregon was terrifying and exciting at the same time.
I love moral conundrums and I've spent a lot of time wondering about moral grey areas. I sometimes find it difficult to deal in absolutes, so I find myself frustrated with a lot of the questions OKCupid likes to ask me.
* bike rides
* board and/or card games
If you want to get out of town and explore the back roads for hidden vistas and secret picnic spots.
If you're excited by the thought of an intense Bananagrams match over a bottle of wine.
If you have a story to share.
(but not if you are one of my students -- wait until after the course is over)