I've been surprised at how much I embody the attributes of the Hakka half of my heritage. If you know what that means, super-mega bonus points for you! As I've learned more about this, it seems to explain quite a bit about me.
I spend a couple of days a week and every other weekend with my son who just turned 16.
This year I'm growing my start-up business, working on a long-put off solo album, celebrating the tenth anniversary of one of my bands and recently made a creative breakthrough with my piano trio.
While this seems like a busy schedule, the business side is manageable. The creative work is relaxed and at the right level for me. With the wonderful emotional growth of my son, I'm at a great place in my journey to share my life with a fellow traveler.
2) ...reading emotional temperature in others and (hopefully) acting accordingly.
3) ...saying what I mean and making efforts to remember to do it with kindness, compassion and humour when appropriate.
4) ...juggling being a father, friend, taskmaster, adviser and teacher to my son.
5) ...improvising music, solo and with other musicians.
6) ...doing lots of other things badly but making efforts to improve.
7) ...suppressing the good sense to avoid ruining perfectly good photo opportunities with ridiculous facial expressions and goofy gestures! I don't take myself seriously!
Books: Who I Am; Living Time; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; Red Land, Black Land; The Life of Milarepa; R is for Rocket; S is for Space; Autobiography of a Yogi; The Island of the Colourblind; The Dark Tower series; You'll Know When You Get There; good musician/artist biographies;
Movies: Moonrise Kingdom, A Matter of Life and Death; Koyaanisqatsi; The Good, The Bad and the Ugly; If..., Lord of the Rings Trilogy; The Conversation; The Wages of Fear; Cloud Atlas; Stand By Me; Royal Tanenbaums; Fantastic Voyage; Spinal Tap; documentaries on artists/musicians; documentaries on societal/cultural subjects;
TV: I now avoid watching any of the current shows because they are too good and too compelling, causing me to spend less time creating music! But, when I did watch it was...
Six Feet Under; Battlestar Galactica; Firefly; West Wing; Lost;
Music: Orchestre Poly-Rhythmo, Yes; Herbie Hancock; Neko Case; The Dells, Jon Hassell; Carnascialia, Foday Musa Suso; Gong; Nick Drake, Miles Davis; Area; Joni Mitchell; Pentangle; King Crimson; Joji Yuasa; Tony Allen; Fela Kuti; The Stooges; O'Jays; Jackie McLean; Sly and the Family Stone; Chick Corea; Beatles; MC5; Os Mutantes; Brian Eno; Gal Costa
Food: I eat pretty much every type of cuisine (including vegetarian) and I'm open to trying new things. I really love the art of cooking and I can prepare many of my favourite Chinese, Thai and Indian dishes. Flavour is everything. Although I do what I do, peanut M&M's totally do it for me!
2) My piano and other keyboard instruments, the music I improvise on them and transcendent art experiences
3) Great friendships, those that are also great artistic relationships and transcendent life experiences
4) Lifelong learning and seeing places and things in the world nearby and afar
5) Stimulating conversation, wry and wicked humour, honesty in thoughts and feelings with myself and others, geeking out over books/music/art/movies etc.
6) Open, accepting and most of all, playful sexuality
1) Hanging out with my son
2) Watching a movie
3) Playing a gig with friends
4) Playing piano at home
5) Listening to music