Their result for The particle physics knowledge Test ...
64% Particle Physics Knowledge
1) The Higgs Boson is not a quark. It is a particle not yet observed (but much searched for) that is thought to be responsible for giving particles their mass. The strange quark helped pave the way for the theory of quarks to be formed. Protons and neutrons are made of up and down quarks, so other types of particles that seemed to have a special type of property were called "strange". The top quark is the heaviest of the (known) quarks and the most recently discovered. Beauty is another (less common) name for the bottom quark.
2) CERN is the European Organization for Nuclear Research, located on the border of France and Switzerland. SLAC, Fermi lab, and Brookhaven are all US national labs carrying out a variety of projects.
3) There is no such thing as the "string" force. The fundamental forces are the weak, strong, electromagnetic, and gravitational.
4) A bubble chamber is a way to see particles. It is a vessel filled with liquid where charged particles leave a trails of tiny bubbles. The LHC is the Large Hadron Collider - a particle accelerator - being constructed at CERN. The other two I made up.
5) The above picture is an artist's representation of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). ATLAS is one of the detectors that will look at what happens when the LHC accelerates protons to really high energy and smashes them together.
6) The photon was the first of the listed particles to be experimentally observed. Technically, Einstein received his Nobel Prize for the photoelectric effect which was proof of the particle nature of light. Experimental evidence for the neutrino can be found in common nuclear decays, thought direct detection of neutrinos is incredible difficult. The tau lepton was (unexpectedly) discovered at SLAC in the 1970's. It is similar to the electron, but is heavier. The Higgs Boson has not yet been observed.
7) Neutrinos have been theorized to exist since the 1930's from simple equations of conservation of energy and momentum. However, we still do not know much about them. We think there are 3 types - electron, muon, and tau - but an experiment was just completed to confirm previous results that there might be another type. This experiment (miniBoone) did not find evidence of a 4th type. For a long time neutrinos were thought to not have mass (like the photon) but in in the 1990's evidence was found that they have a small mass. This mass is still unknown. It was thought that neutrinos may make up the majority of dark matter, but we are fairly sure that the mass is too small to account for much dark matter. A big remaining question is whether the neutrino is its own antiparticle. In the case of the neutrino this is a very complicated, but very fundamental, question. There are many experiments currently trying to answer this through something called neutrinoless double beta decay.
8) Magnetic monopoles are not a mainstream research topic now. If even a single one exists there are far reaching implications for many fields of physics. There have been experiments to look for them, but none have conclusively found them. Many of the leading experiments today are trying to learn about dark matter, the higgs boson, and the neutrino.
9) The image is an example of a Feynman Diagram. This simple drawing is a way to simplify an incredibly complicated and difficult equation into a representation of particle interactions.
10) You should want to learn more about the universe! Particle physics is our way to to further the knowledge of humanity. We can find out what the universe was like a mere tiny fraction after the big bang. Why was more matter than antimatter created? Why are there four fundamental forces?
Their Analysis (Vertical line = Average)
They scored 64% on physics-smarts, higher than 22% of your peers.
More tests we think you'll like
Taken 55 times.
Should you stay single? Find out!
Taken 19786 times.
Find out if I think teaching high school is the right career for you! Keep in mind, it's only my personal opinion. This test will be based on me, basically.
Taken 92294 times.
This is the ultimate and most accurate test one could ever take in this area. This test is for boys, but if you're a girl and you feel you REALLY want...
Taken 2678 times.
Hi! And welcome to my Horse Racing Test.
Taken 2564 times.
Hya Visitor ! Welcome to my FrenchKissFullMouthPierro Test. Be ready for anything, life is short ... Intelligence, Humour, Kinkiness, Slavabilit...
Taken 8103 times.
Hi! And welcome to my Real Deal Test. I'll be using advanced logic and knowledge to determine your true nature. TODO: REWRITE THIS.
Taken 50712 times.
Hi! And welcome to my dumbest Test. I'll be using no logic and little knowledge to determine something.
Taken 10200 times.
Hi! I'll be asking questions regarding the automotive cultural set u fit into. Also whether you are more speed/power oriented or more appearnce orien...
Taken 2025 times.
This is my first test and it contains 50 questions of various facts about dogs. Each question is scored 2 points so there is a possible 100 points. ...
Taken 77408 times.
Hi! And welcome to my Humane Sexuality Test. I'll be using advanced theory and research to determine how sexually open, educated and just plain weird ...
Connect your existing OkCupid account
Restore your account to continue meeting new people.
Reset your password
We’ll email you a link to reset it.
An email is on its way to .
If you don’t see it, try checking your Spam folder.
Enter Authentication Code
Not so fast!
You need to complete your basic info on the mobile app before you can use the desktop site.