Their result for The Short Astrophysics Test ...
You scored 38% on cosmology questions, and 29% on planetary and stellar science questions.
Don't be too ashamed if you got a low score, it was hard! If you got below 25% try guessing randomly next time.
Those who did well (above 50% is good) can pat themselves on the back, and perhaps consider a PhD in astrophysics!
- In which constellation is the Andromeda Galaxy?
- Ursa Major
- Which object is the least massive?
- NGC 5194 (NGC/IC objects are usually galaxies)
- 1992 QB1 (objects beginning with the year of discovery are asteroids)
- HD 209458 (the Henry Draper catalog lists stars)
- Cygnus X-1 (the black hole at the centre of our galaxy)
- Which object is the most massive?
- Callisto (moon of Jupiter)
- Charon (companion to Pluto)
- Ceres (largest asteroid in the Main Belt)
- What diameter is the visible portion of the Milky Way?
- 100 light years
- 1,000 light years
- 10,000 light years
- 100,000 light years
- What is The Great Wall?
- A surface feature on Mars
- A surface feature on Titan
- A galaxy cluster
- A solar prominance
- How old is a globular cluster?
- As old as the Earth (about 5 billion years)
- As old as the Sun (about 5.5 billion years)
- As old as the Galaxy (about 11 billion years)
- As old as the Universe (about 13.7 billion years)
- What is interesting about the Jovian moons Io, Europa and Ganymede?
- They have interlocked orbital periods
- Their orbits are highly elliptical
- They are all volcanic
- What distance is used in the definition of absolute magnitude?
- 1 light year
- 1 astronomical unit
- 10 light years
- 10 parsecs
- What is the average length of one complete solar sunspot cycle?
- 30 days (this is the solar rotational period)
- 11 years (this is the period it takes for the poles to flip once)
- 22 years (this is the period it takes for the poles to flip and flip back again)
- 33 years
- What's the value of the Hubble constant, which is used to calculate the rate of expansion of the universe?
- ~70 (the Hubble constant lies somewhere between 50 and 100, about 70 is a fair estimate)
- 206.44 (this is a number I plucked out of the air)
- 3 Ã 108 (this is the speed of light in a vacuum)
- What is the correct order of spectral classes for stars?
- O B A F G K M
- A O B K G F M
- B A O F K G M
- A B O K F G M
- What value has the Chandrasekhar limit?
- 1400 Megaparsecs
- 1.4 solar masses
- 14 kilohertz
- 140 Ã ngstroms
- What does the following equation represent?
M = (3Ï5Ã·32)Â½ c3 Gâ3/2 ÏâÂ½
Where c is the internal speed of sound, and Ï is the density.
- Jeans mass for a collapsing gas cloud
- Equation of a propogating shock front
- Planck curve for black body radiation
- Limit beyond which a stellar core will collapse
- Where are the Aten-family asteroids located?
- At Jupiter's Lagrange 4 point (Trojan asteroids)
- At Jupiter's Lagrange 5 point (also Trojan asteroids)
- Beyond the orbit of Neptune (Kuyper Belt and Oort Cloud objects)
- Inside the orbit of Earth
- Stars on the Hayashi track of the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram are:
- Pre-main sequence stars
- Evolved main sequence stars
- Sub-giant stars with low relative luminosities
- Stars with planetary nebulae
Their Analysis (Vertical line = Average)
They scored 38% on cosmology, higher than 50% of your peers.
They scored 29% on planetary sci, higher than 40% of your peers.
More tests we think you'll like
Taken 557 times.
Hi! And welcome to my Humane Sexuality Test. I'll be using advanced theory and research to determine how sexually open, educated and just plain weird ...
Taken 0 times.
My brain works in such a "special" way that my friends have named my way of thinking as 'Twisted Roger Logic'. This basically involves making very ast...
Taken 5 times.
In my opinion, being adventurous is one of the best things you can do for yourself. If you try new things every now and then, sure you could run into...
Taken 2 times.
Hi! And welcome to my Yor mom test Test. I'll be using advanced logic and knowledge to determine your true nature. TODO: REWRITE THIS.
Taken 0 times.
Hey! I know what I'm looking for in a guy, and by answering these questions, I'll know if your someone that I could see myself dating :)
Taken 35 times.
Hi! And welcome to my Useless Trivia As Determined By the Author Test. I'll be using advanced logic and my useless knowledge amassed over years of veg...
Taken 2 times.
The world is divided into leaders and sidekicks. You are no leader or you wouldn't be here taking tests, instead you'd be starting a war, like a good responsible leader should. So let's see which...
Taken 0 times.
Do you watch Showtime's Hit Series "The L Word". Of course you do. How into this show are you? Let's find out!
Taken 427 times.
I thought I would play around and write a test that would predict what my first impression of you would be. NOW BEFORE YOU BEGIN, this test was done ...
Taken 55 times.
Hi! I'll be asking questions regarding the automotive cultural set u fit into. Also whether you are more speed/power oriented or more appearnce orien...
Connect your existing OkCupid account
Restore your account to continue meeting new people.
Reset your password
We’ll email you a link to reset it.
An email is on its way to .
If you don’t see it, try checking your Spam folder.
Enter Authentication Code
Not so fast!
You need to complete your basic info on the mobile app before you can use the desktop site.